Pineapple Volcano with Raspberry Lava
A dessert that erupts with deliciousness!
Inspired by real volcanoes, this festive fruit snack is a hit at a party, or anytime you’re in the mood for a taste of the islands. The volcano itself is a roasted pineapple, the lava is warm raspberry sauce, and the earth is chocolate cookie crumbs. This treat is especially delicious when served over coconut sorbet. While you are waiting for the volcano to roast, you can watch videos of volcanoes erupting at www.gohawaii.com. If you want to develop the Hawaiian theme, head to the dollar store for grass skirts and leis.
Preparation time: 90 minutes; 15 minutes to cut the pineapple, 60 minutes to roast it, and 15 minutes to assemble the volcano
Themes: sweet, festive, fruit, fruity, roast, oven, ice cream, coconut, party, crowd, friends
- One whole pineapple
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 T. butter or butter substitute
- 12 oz. bag frozen raspberries (fresh if available)
- 4 t. white sugar
- 10 chocolate wafers (we use Famous Amos)
- Sparkler-type candles (optional)
- 1 pint coconut sorbet
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the pineapple for roasting; this is a parent’s job. Cut the skin and crown off the pineapple. Slice it lengthwise and remove the core. Cut the halves into inch-thick half moons.
- Dot butter on the roasting pan or cookie sheet and sprinkle on and ¼ cup brown sugar. Place pineapple pieces on top, and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Roast pineapple for 50 minutes, or until bubbly.
- While the pineapple is roasting, prepare the raspberry sauce.
- Pour the frozen raspberries into a saucepan with 4 teaspoons sugar. Cook on low heat until thickened.
- Crush chocolate wafers to create dirt. Sprinkle dirt on a serving plate.
- When pineapple is roasted, stack the pieces in a volcano shape on the dirt. Pour the raspberry sauce over the pineapple. If desired, insert sparklers on top of the pineapple for a dramatic effect.
- After everyone watches the lava flow down the pineapple onto the dirt, scoop the mixture onto bowls of coconut sorbet.